Developed by 11 Bit Studios and released on April 24, 2018, Frostpunk is a city-building survival video game where you’ll be in charge of a group of people trying to survive. This means you’re deciding who, when, and where your citizens work, what kind of buildings will be available in the city, what kind of doctrine people are going to follow or believe in, etc.
When you first start the game, you’re going to play as the leader of a group of former Londoners who are seeking a new place to live. They’ll settle around a generator that gives them warmth, and you’ll have to build a city around it while also gathering resources to survive the upcoming final storm. However, this is just one of seven possible scenarios that the game lets you play in. Here’s everything you need to know about each one of them.
A New Home
- How To Unlock It: The game’s main story
This one is the first scenario you’ll play in Frostpunk since it’s considered the game’s main storyline. This one lasts around 48 days, during which you’ll have to keep alive the people you already have, make them work to gather resources, explore other areas to recruit other survivors or find resources, expand your city to accommodate everyone’s needs, etc.
You’ll start this scenario with 50 workers, 15 engineers, and 15 children. The number of resources you’ll start with will vary according to the difficulty you chose, for example:
- The easy difficulty lets you start the game with 60 coal, 50 wood, 30 steel, 150 raw food units, and one steam core.
- In the medium difficulty, you’ll start with 30 wood, ten steel, one steam core, and 100 units of raw food.
- In the hard/extreme difficulty, you will only start with one steam core and 50 units of raw foods.
The “A New Home” scenario is divided into three different acts you’ll have to survive through. Each one has multiple subplots and difficult choices to make.
The first act consists of the arrival of your people to this new place, a New London, for them to thrive and live. Here, your main objectives will be finding other citizens who strayed away while moving from London to New London and finding another settlement.
This act will end when your people find out about what happened to Winterhome, either by your scouts finding what’s left of the place or by having one of the survivors from there come to your city by day 15.
During act two, you’ll fight not only the harsh conditions but also an opposite faction called “the Londoners.” This group will try to recruit as many people as possible to leave your city and go back to London, where they believe they have a better chance of surviving.
- It’s also during this act that you’ll have to choose which path to follow, faith or order.
Throughout this act, the Londoners will cause some mayhem in your city like vandalism, public speeches, thief, etc. But, depending on how you act, hope and discontent levels will rise or lower; keep an eye on those since a high discontent or a very low hope will cause a game over.
Eventually, the Londoners will leave your city, and the resolution of that conflict will mark the start of act three. This one is the more challenging out of all three since you’ll have to deal with the Final Storm, an in-game event that lowers temperatures to -150 °C.
On The Edge
- How To Unlock It: Purchase The On the Edge Expansion
This scenario serves as a continuation of “A New Home” since you’ll be playing in the aftermath of the Final Storm. However, this time around, your primary focus will be contacting other settlements and finding new ways of keeping your people warm and alive.
On the Edge will have you playing in Outpost 11, a city founded by the people of New London to function as an outpost, which makes you rely on other towns to trade resources or request supplies in case of emergencies.
You’ll start this scenario with 50 workers and 15 engineers. The number of resources you’ll start with will vary according to the difficulty you chose, for example:
- The easy difficulty comes with 120 coal, 60 wood, 30 steel, and 60 raw food.
- The medium difficulty comes with 60 coal, 30 wood, ten steel, and 40 raw food.
- The hard difficulty comes with 30 coal, 20 wood, ten steel, and 30 raw food.
- The extreme difficulty comes only with 30 raw food.
Just like the last one, this scenario has three acts. During act one, some things will happen that will drive you to split from New London, making you an independent settlement. During act two, you’ll have to contact other cities in the area and form a relationship with them. Finally, during act three, you’ll have to decide to aid or destroy New London.
- How To Unlock It: survive 20 days while playing A New Home
In this scenario, instead of helping people to survive, you’ll be in charge of keeping seeds alive. During The Arks, a new building is introduced, the Seedling Ark, a repository that has inside seeds and seedlings from around the globe that will help the human race rebuild the world after the icy apocalypse is over.
- You’ll have to keep an eye out on not one but four Seedling Arks, and that seeds inside need at least a chilly temperature, or they’ll die.
You’ll start this scenario with 45 engineers and one Automaton. As you can see, you won’t have any available workers; this happens because the idea of The Ark’s scenario is that you work on building Automatons to keep the city functioning.
The Arks scenarios will start with the following resources:
- 60 coal, 60 wood, 50 steel, three steam cores, and 135 units of raw food if you’re playing the easy difficulty.
- 40 wood, 35 steel, three steam cores, and 90 units of raw food if you’re playing with medium difficulty.
- 15 steel, three steam cores, and 45 units of raw food if you’re playing with the hard or extreme difficulty.
While this scenario doesn’t have arcs, subplots like helping New Manchester and quests like preparing for the storm will keep the story going.
The Fall Of Winterhome
- How To Unlock It: survive 20 days while playing A New Home.
This scenario takes place before A New Home, and it covers what happened in Winterhome and how the city collapsed. Just like it happens in A New Home, in The Fall of Winterhome, you’ll be in charge of a city and its survival. However, this time the city will be already built but in very bad condition, and there’ll be some things researched as well as some laws already in action.
You will start the scenario with 330 workers, 60 engineers and 190 children, 30 amputees, and around 80 dead bodies. The number of resources you start with will vary accordingly to your difficulty settings, for example:
- You’ll have 900 coal, 130 wood, 100 steel, four steam cores, and 300 units of raw food if you’re playing the easy mode.
- You’ll have 900 coal, 30 wood, 50 steel, four steam cores, and 300 units of raw food if you’re playing with medium difficulty.
- You’ll have 600 coal, 30 wood, 50 steel, four steam cores, and 250 units of raw food if you play the hard mode.
- You’ll have 300 coal, 30 wood, 50 steel, four steam cores, and 200 pieces of raw food if you play with the extreme difficulty.
During this scenario, you’ll have to correct the past leader’s mistakes, like a bad city layout, low hope levels, very high discontent, or signed laws you can’t undo. So basically, what you have to do in The Fall of Winterhome is get things back on track and make Winterhome great again.
The Fall of Winterhome has different in-game events that will keep the story going. This scenario will take you through restoring the city, examining the generator, preparing for evacuation, and finally leaving the city behind.
The Last Autumn
- How To Unlock It: Purchase The Last Autumn Expansion
This scenario is a prequel to everything else in the game, as The Last Autumn takes place when the IEC started building the generators you’ll see in the other scenarios.
In this one, you’ll play as an IEC employee who’s been tasked with building a generator at Site 113. Gameplay consists of you having to meet various deadlines throughout the scenario, this time, you won’t have a hope meter, but instead, there’ll be a Motivation one. Your motivation levels will affect your productivity. Moreover, this time temperature won’t be that much of a problem since it’ll start at +10 degrees (but it will get colder as you progress through the game, just at a much slower pace)
There’s also a new gameplay mechanic called strikes. This makes your workers go on strikes and demand some benefits to resume their work. You’ll then have to negotiate and decide who to side with, engineers or workers.
You’ll start The Last Autumn with 75 workers and 15 engineers, as well as:
- 60 wood, 40 steel, and 200 units of raw food if you play with easy difficulty.
- 35 wood, 25 steel, and 150 units of raw food if you play with medium difficulty.
- 20 wood, 15 steel, and 100 units of raw food if you play with hard difficulty.
- 10 wood and 50 units of raw food if you play with extreme difficulty.
This scenario will be very different from what you’re used to. It adds new buildings – like the Ventilation Plant or the Machine Shop – new things to keep an eye on – like Toxic Gas and Work Safety levels – and new ways of getting resources like using the telegraph.
- How To Unlock It: Survive 20 days while playing A New Home.
During this scenario, you’ll have to deal with waves and waves of refugees coming into your city seeking food and shelter. At first, the refugees will be poor people who fled from London; however, later on, the newcomers will be lords and wealthy people who tried to have the first one killed. The conflict in this scenario will come from these two factions mingling.
You’ll start this scenario with 20 workers, eight engineers, and 15 children. There will be some resources available, but the quantity will vary depending on the difficulty you’re playing on, for example:
- In easy mode, you’ll have 600 coal, 30 wood, ten steel, and 100 units of raw food.
- In medium difficulty, you’ll have 500 coal and 50 units of raw food.
- In hard or extreme difficulty, you’ll have 300 coal and 25 units of raw food.
The Refugees scenario follows a series of scripted events that will keep the story going as well as a series of objectives you’ll have to complete. It’ll be up to you how this story unfolds.
- How To Unlock It: It was introduced into the game in 1.3.0. update
This new scenario is a variation from the main gameplay. This time there’s no storyline, meaning that the game does not have a scripted end. This scenario introduces eight different maps from which you can choose to build your city. Still, how long you survive will solely depend on you and your skills. Endless mode introduces three subtypes, which are:
This one is perfect for those who really enjoy a challenge. During endurance mode, resources will be scarce, and you’ll have frequent blizzards to deal with. In this mode, you’ll begin with 80 citizens.
This mode is for those who want to test out how good their city layout skill is. Resources will be easy to come by, the weather won’t be that bad, and blizzards will be short. Basically, everything will be perfect for you to build the city of your dreams. You’ll begin this mode with 105 citizens as well as several Tier 0 and Tier 1 Technologies already researched.
The Builders Mode
While this one is part of the Endless scenario, it’ll be only available for those who have The Last Autumn DLC. This mode will center around building the generator and trying to survive, meaning you’ll start the game with no heating and harsh incoming weather. In this mode, you’ll begin with 125 citizens and temperatures of -20 °C.
Source: Read Full Article